Day 95 Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Weight: 181.2 I don’t know why this is 2.2 lbs less than last night.
Poised for a breakthrough: I want to start a thirty day experiment in “purism”, eating only whole foods with no processing (strawberry, banana, sweet potato, squash, watermelon) or minimal processing (e.g. hulled seeds, shelled nuts, steel rolled “full oats”).
- Goal: understand what it takes to actually avoid processed foods.
- Blog exceptions (deviations I had a hard time avoiding)
- Blog “allowed deviations” such as eating already hulled seeds and nuts. I’m not harvesting and cracking nuts; they are store bought.
- See what happens to weight and health.
I’ll start this tomorrow (Day 96) because it will require some preparation. For example I’m going to cook up a batch of “full oats” because they take much longer to cook than “instant oats” but are essentially hulled grain.
- Cooked three cups of “full oats” (took about 15 minutes). This should last for a week.
- Cooked 1 lb (2 cups) sweet potato (microwave, 15 minutes after heating water)
- Cooked 1 lb russet potatoes (microwave, 15 minutes in sweet potato water)
- Cooked 1 lb squash (including seeds and innards, an experiment (microwave, 15 minutes in potato water)
- Roasted 8 oz of diced onions in Nuwave.
- Started 2 cups (1 lb) black beans soaking in 2 cups water (intending overnight soak).
- Defrosted 5 lbs of old chicken legs in the microwave. Will cook in Nuwave.
- Mixed together 2/3 oz pumpkin seeds, 2/3 oz toasted red millet, 2/3 oz sunflower seeds, 2/3 oz full oats (uncooked).
- Should meat from a Whole Foods store be considered “minimally processed”? It’s hard to imagine “yes” but I’m still an omnivore and like a portion of meat.
- What ratio of nuts and seeds should there be to fruits and veggies?
Breakfast: 1/3 cup oatmeal (classic) – 50 cals with strawberries (see total below) (note: no table sugar); 5 oz coffee with strawberries (no table sugar, no high fructose dry creamer). 1.5 oz banana – 40 cals. 1/2 oz mixed seeds – 60 cals. 2.5 oz Strawberries – 25 cals. Total = 175 calories.
Lunch: 3 oz squash – 50 , 1.5 oz chicken leg meat – 100. Total = 150 cals.
Snacks throughout the day and evening:
1 oz walnuts and almonds – 190. 2.5 oz mixed seeds/oats: 1/4 sunflower, 1/4 toasted red millet, 1/4 pumpkin, 1/4 “full oats (uncooked) – 280. 6 oz Strawberries – 55. 6 oz watermelon – 55. 3 oz banana – 75. Total = 655 cals.
Dinner: 3 oz squash – 50 , 1.5 oz chicken leg meat – 100. Total = 150 cals.
Total 5/11/2010: 1135 calories No wonder I got a headache last night. Went from higher cal diet back to low low cal diet in one day.